Date written: January 25th, 2003
Scripture ref:2 Chronicles 34:15, 16
The Message of Restoration
TITLE: The Message of Restoration
PROPOSITION:To set forth the fundamental principles behind the concept of restoration. The need for restoration implies, 1) that something is corrupt, 2) the need for a pattern, 3) unity of purpose, 4) there is work to be done.
OBJECTIVES:Each listener should be able to state the need for restoration today and the basic principles of restoration. teach it.
AIM:I want everyone to be educated on the principles of restoration and the need for the restoration of the church today.
1. Read: 2 Chronicles 34:15, 16, 21
2. About the Text:
1) King Josiah was 8 years old when he began to reign as king.
2) His father, Amon, was an evil and idolatrous king.
3) Josiah's reign began by destroying all of the idolatrous places.
4) In the eighteenth year of Josiah's reign, a project to restore the temple was underway.
5) When Hilkiah went to get money to pay the workers from the temple, he found a book.
6) This was the book of Moses--God's law to Israel.
7) This book was read before the king.
8) Josiah then turned his efforts toward restoring the true worship of God in Israel.
3. Ref. to S, T, P, O, and A.
DISCUSSION: The need for restoration implies . . .
I. Something is corrupt.
1. When restoring a house, you start with fixing the problems.
2. In Josiah's case, Israel's worship was corrupt.
1) Idolatrous practices.
2) Temple was in disrepair.
3) Were not reading God's law.
4) Were not observing the Passover.
3. In our case today, there is around us the corruption of religion.
1) Catholicism is not what Jesus built--it is a corruption of the original.
a. 2 Thess.2:3, 4.
b. 1 Timothy 4:1ff
2) The Reformation was tried to fix the corrupt--the result is denominationalism.
a. Denominationalism does not restore the church. (Org., Unity, Worship, etc.)
b. It is merely a replacement for Catholicism.
3) Only a restoration of God's original plan can bring us back to God's true religion.
4. There is an ongoing need for restoration today among those who would profess to be Christians.
II. The Need for a Pattern
1. When restoring a house, you need to get the original blueprints.
2. Josiah's restoration only occurred after he found the book of the law.
3. Today, if we are going to restore the church, we must go back to the original blueprints.
4. That blueprint--that pattern--is the word of God.
1) Luke 8:11 "The seed is the word of God."
a. A seed is a pattern.
b. You only get one thing from a seed.
2) 1 Peter 1:23 "Being born again, not of corruptible seed, but of incorruptible, by the word of God, which liveth and abideth for ever."
5. We need a pattern if we are going to restore the church.
1) 2 Timothy 1:13 "Hold the pattern of sound words which thou hast heard from me, in faith and love which is in Christ Jesus."
2) Romans 6:17 "But God be thanked, that ye were the servants of sin, but ye have obeyed from the heart that form of doctrine which was delivered you."
III. Unity of Purpose
1. When restoring a house, the chief architect has the final decision.
2. Josiah's restoration would not have happened if he did not have the support of the priests and scribes.
3. Today, we must have unity of purpose if we are going to restore the church.
1) Jesus prayed for unity. John 17:20, 21 "Neither pray I for these alone, but for them also which shall believe on me through their word; That they all may be one; as thou, Father, art in me, and I in thee, that they also may be one in us: that the world may believe that thou hast sent me."
2) Paul commanded unity. 1 Corinthians 1:10 "Now I beseech you, brethren, by the name of our Lord Jesus Christ, that ye all speak the same thing, and that there be no divisions among you; but that ye be perfectly joined together in the same mind and in the same judgment."
3) Our fellowship is based upon unity. Ephesians 4:3-6 "Endeavouring to keep the unity of the Spirit in the bond of peace. There is one body, and one Spirit, even as ye are called in one hope of your calling; One Lord, one faith, one baptism, One God and Father of all, who is above all, and through all, and in you all."
IV. There is work to be done.
1. When you restore a house, you may have everything in place, but if you fail to do the work, the house will never be restored.
2. When Josiah recognized that he had everything he needed to restore Israel's worship, he went to work.
3. We have what we need to continue our efforts at restoration. Let's go to work.
1) Jesus said, "Then saith he unto his disciples, The harvest truly is plenteous, but the labourers are few; Pray ye therefore the Lord of the harvest, that he will send forth labourers into his harvest." (Matthew 9:37, 38).
2) Gal.6:9, "And let us not be weary in well doing: for in due season we shall reap, if we faint not."
3) 1 Corinthians 3:9 "For we are labourers together with God: ye are God's husbandry, ye are God's building."
4) Will we let God's power work in us? Ephesians 3:20, 21 "Now unto him that is able to do exceeding abundantly above all that we ask or think, according to the power that worketh in us, Unto him be glory in the church by Christ Jesus throughout all ages, world without end. Amen."
1. The restoration plea is still valid today. If we are going to restore God's church today, we must recognize
1) That there is corruption.
2) There must be a pattern.
3) There must be a great purpose for unity.
4) There must be a willingness to work.
1) If you are a Christian but have fallen away
a. You have left the pattern.
b. You have fallen back into corruption.
c. Return to God's way and be restored to the church this hour.
2) If you are not a Christian this morning . . .
a. Would you hear the great call restoration?
b. No other religion is going to help you except the pure religion of Jesus Christ.
c. Heed the plan that it has for man's salvation today!
a) Hear the word; Romans 10:17 "Faith comes by hearing . . ."
b) Believe with all your heart; Hebrews 11:6 "For without faith it is impossible . . . ."
c) Repent of your sins (Acts 17:30).
d) Confess Jesus as the Son of God (Matt.16:16).
e) Be baptized for the remission of your sins (Mark 16:15,16).