Date written: May 14th, 2003
Scripture ref: Matthew 6:33
TITLE: "Seek Ye First" (Part 2)
PROPOSITION: In this lesson, we will study Matthew 6:33. Matthew 6:33 contains a 1) Principle, 2) People, 3) Priority, 4) Place, 5) Pattern, 6) Promise.
Objectives: Each listener should be able to break down this verse and explain what it truly means to someone else.
Aim: To help all have a deep understanding of this wonderful scripture.
1. Read: Matthew 6:33
2. About the Text:
1) The context of this verse is the great sermon on the mount.
2) It comes out of the discussion of not laying up for ourselves treasures upon the earth.
3) The natural question that arises as a result of such teaching is how shall we provide for ourselves?
4) Jesus says to worry about these things are profitless.
5) The real priority in our life should not be where we are going to get our food, clothing, and shelter.
6) The real priority should be to seek God's kingdom first and God's righteousness first.
3. Ref. to S, T, P, O, and A.
DISCUSSION: In this verse we find . . .
I. A Place--The Kingdom of God
1. The kingdom is the church.
1) Mark 9:1; Acts 1:8; Acts 2:4
2) Matthew 16:18, 19 "And I say also unto thee, That thou art Peter, and upon this rock I will build my church; and the gates of hell shall not prevail against it. And I will give unto thee the keys of the kingdom of heaven: and whatsoever thou shalt bind on earth shall be bound in heaven: and whatsoever thou shalt loose on earth shall be loosed in heaven."
3) Col.1:13 "Who hath delivered us from the power of darkness, and hath translated us into the kingdom of his dear Son:"
2. Christ put the church first in that he died for her.
1) Acts 20:28 "Take heed therefore unto yourselves, and to all the flock, over the which the Holy Ghost hath made you overseers, to feed the church of God, which he hath purchased with his own blood."
2) Ephesians 5:23 "For the husband is the head of the wife, even as Christ is the head of the church: and he is the Saviour of the body."
3. Where do we put the church in our decisions?
1) Do we remember her when it comes time to assemble with the saints? Hebrews 10:25
2) Do we remember her when it comes time to give as we have been prospered? 1 Corinthians 16:1,2
3) Do we remember the church in our prayers?
4) Do we look to the church as a place for us to serve or as a place for us to be served? Phil.2:3-5 "Let nothing be done through strife or vainglory; but in lowliness of mind let each esteem other better than themselves. Look not every man on his own things, but every man also on the things of others. Let this mind be in you, which was also in Christ Jesus:"
4. Seeking the kingdom first means exalting the church that Jesus built. Ephesians 3:20, 21 "Now unto him that is able to do exceeding abundantly above all that we ask or think, according to the power that worketh in us, Unto him be glory in the church by Christ Jesus throughout all ages, world without end. Amen."
II. A Pattern--His Righteousness
1. We should not be looking for a righteousness of our own.
1) Philippians 3:9 "And be found in him, not having mine own righteousness, which is of the law, but that which is through the faith of Christ, the righteousness which is of God by faith:"
2) Romans 10:3 "For they being ignorant of God’s righteousness, and going about to establish their own righteousness, have not submitted themselves unto the righteousness of God."
3) Titus 3:4, 5 "But after that the kindness and love of God our Saviour toward man appeared, Not by works of righteousness which we have done, but according to his mercy he saved us, by the washing of regeneration, and renewing of the Holy Ghost."
2. Righteousness comes from the God's word.
1) Psalm 119:172 "My tongue shall speak of thy word: for all thy commandments are righteousness."
2) Romans 1:16, 17 "For I am not ashamed . . . ."
3) 2 Timothy 3:16 "All scripture . . . instruction in righteousness….."God wants us to live right before Him.
3. When we act on God's word in our life, we can live righteously not because of our own goodness, but because we are following his pattern.
1) Romans 6:17 "But God be thanked, that ye were the servants of sin, but ye have obeyed from the heart that form of doctrine which was delivered you."
2) 2 Tim.1:13 "Hold fast the form of sound words, which thou hast heard of me, in faith and love which is in Christ Jesus."
3) Ephesians 2:10 "For we are his workmanship, created in Christ Jesus unto good works, which God hath before ordained that we should walk in them."
4) 1 Peter 2:21 "For even hereunto were ye called: because Christ also suffered for us, leaving us an example, that ye should follow his steps:"
III. A Promise--All things will be added to you.
1. In the context, food, clothing, shelter.
2. God's promises always hold sure.
1) Titus 1:2 "In hope of eternal life, which God, that cannot lie, promised before the world began;"
2) Romans 4:20, 21 "He staggered not at the promise of God through unbelief; but was strong in faith, giving glory to God; And being fully persuaded that, what he had promised, he was able also to perform.
3. What great assurance this promise gives us.
1) We as Christians do not have to worry about life's daily necessities.
2) Freedom from anxiety. 1 Peter 5:7 "casting all your care/anxiety upon him, because he careth for you."
3) Philippians 4:6 "In nothing be anxious; but in everything by prayer and supplication with thanksgiving let your requests be made known unto God."
4) Hebrews 13:5 ASV "Be ye free from the love of money; content with such things as ye have: for himself hath said, I will in no wise fail thee, neither will I in any wise forsake thee."
4. The promise is conditional upon our obedience.
1) To seek first God's kingdom.
2) Lev.26:3, 4 "If ye walk in my statutes, and keep my commandments, and do them; Then I will give you rain in due season, and the land shall yield her increase, and the trees of the field shall yield their fruit."
3) John 8:31, 32 "Then said Jesus to those Jews which believed on him, If ye continue in my word, then are ye my disciples indeed; And ye shall know the truth, and the truth shall make you free."
4) Romans 11:22 "Behold therefore the goodness and severity of God: on them which fell, severity; but toward thee, goodness, if thou continue in his goodness: otherwise thou also shalt be cut off.
1. Do we know this verse?
1) Principle -- Seek
2) People -- Ye
3) Priority -- First
4) Place -- Kingdom of God
5) Pattern -- His righteousness.
6) Promise -- All things added.
1) If you are a Christian but have fallen away
a. Is the kingdom of God and His righteousness first in your life?
b. If not, then make correction today.
2) If you are not a Christian this morning . . .
a. You need to make God's kingdom first in your life.
b. The terms of entrance into that kingdom were given by Peter in Acts 2:38
a) Hear the word; Romans 10:17 “Faith comes by hearing . . .”
b) Believe with all your heart; Hebrews 11:6 “For without faith it is impossible . . . .”
c) Repent of your sins (Acts 17:30).
d) Confess Jesus as the Son of God (Matt.16:16).
e) Be baptized for the remission of your sins (Mark 16:15,16).