Date written: September 13th, 2003
Scripture ref: Matthew 9:37, 38
TITLE: What is Evangelism?
PROPOSITION: In this lesson we will answer the question, "What is Evangelism" in a fourfold way. Evangelism is 1) Prayer, 2) Opportunities, 3) Work, 4) Teaching.
OBJECTIVES: I want each hearer to understand what all is involved in evangelism.
AIM: To educate and encourage each Christian to be evangelistic
1. Read: Matthew 9:37, 38
2. About the Text:
1) In verses 35 and 36 Jesus is working.
2) He is preaching the gospel of the kingdom.
3) He is healing the sick that were brought to them.
4) The text says that he had compassion on them.
5) He then says to the disciples the words of our text.
6) It should be obvious to all that Jesus was concerned about evangelism.
3. Ref. to S, T, P, O, and A.
DISCUSSION: Evangelism is . . .
I. Prayer - Jesus says, "Pray ye the Lord of the harvests."
1. Do we want to evangelize? Then let's pray!
2. Pray for everyone around you. Matthew 7:7, 8 "Ask, and it shall be given you; seek, and ye shall find; knock, and it shall be opened unto you: For every one that asketh receiveth; and he that seeketh findeth; and to him that knocketh it shall be opened."
3. Pray for opportunities and wisdom to recognize such. Col.4:2-4 "Continue in prayer, and watch in the same with thanksgiving; Withal praying also for us, that God would open unto us a door of utterance, to speak the mystery of Christ, for which I am also in bonds: That I may make it manifest, as I ought to speak."
4. Pray to have obstacles removed 2 Thess.3:1 "Finally, brethren, pray for us, that the word of the Lord may have free course, and be glorified, even as it is with you:"
5. Pray for courage. Ephesians 6:18-20 "Praying always with all prayer and supplication in the Spirit, and watching thereunto with all perseverance and supplication for all saints; And for me, that utterance may be given unto me, that I may open my mouth boldly, to make known the mystery of the gospel, For which I am an ambassador in bonds: that therein I may speak boldly, as I ought to speak."
II. Opportunities - Jesus says, "to send forth"
1. Opportunities are not in the future, they are now! John 4:35 "Say not ye, There are yet four months, and then cometh harvest? behold, I say unto you, Lift up your eyes, and look on the fields; for they are white already to harvest."
2. Good works spawn opportunities for evangelism. Galatians 6:10 "As we have therefore opportunity, let us do good unto all men, especially unto them who are of the household of faith."
3. Let us not neglect opportunities that come our way. James 4:17 "Therefore to him that knoweth to do good, and doeth it not, to him it is sin." Got to keep our eyes open and our mind alert!
4. When Jesus opens a door for us, no man can close it, but we can fail to walk through it. Revelation 3:8 "I know thy works: behold, I have set before thee an open door, and no man can shut it: for thou hast a little strength, and hast kept my word, and hast not denied my name."
III. Work - Jesus says, "laborers"
1. 1 Corinthians 3:6-9 "I have planted, Apollos watered; but God gave the increase. So then neither is he that planteth any thing, neither he that watereth; but God that giveth the increase. Now he that planteth and he that watereth are one: and every man shall receive his own reward according to his own labour. For we are labourers together with God: ye are God's husbandry, ye are God's building."
1) It is indeed labor.
2) We should not expect it to be something that is fast and easy.
3) Jesus didn't bring microwave religion.
4) Evangelism is compared to a harvest-hard work.
5) The work requires patience.
2. Good works glorify the Father. Matthew 5:16 "Let your light so shine before men, that they may see your good works, and glorify your Father which is in heaven."
3. Good works lead to fruitfulness. Titus 3:14 "And let our people also learn to maintain good works, to meet urgent needs, that they may not be unfruitful."
4. There are no quick and easy ways to raise potatoes. You have just got to get your hands dirty and do the work.
IV. Teaching - Jesus says, "into the harvest."
1. It is impossible to do evangelism without teaching!
2. Some people think that they can sneak other people into the church. It just doesn't happen that way.
3. The church is not a social club.
4. Required to make disciples. Matthew 28:18-20 says, "And Jesus came and spake unto them, saying, All power is given unto me in heaven and in earth. Go ye therefore, and teach all nations, baptizing them in the name of the Father, and of the Son, and of the Holy Ghost: Teaching them to observe all things whatsoever I have commanded you: and, lo, I am with you alway, even unto the end of the world. Amen."
5. John 7:17 "If any man will do his will, he shall know of the doctrine, whether it be of God, or whether I speak of myself."
6. John 8:31, 32 "Then said Jesus to those Jews which believed on him, If ye continue in my word, then are ye my disciples indeed; And ye shall know the truth, and the truth shall make you free."
7. Acts 2:40 "And with many other words did he testify and exhort, saying, Save yourselves from this untoward generation."
1. Evangelism is . . .