Date written: February 1st, 1997 (Revised October 26th, 2003)
Scripture ref: 1 Peter 2:9
TITLE: Attitudes of the Chosen Generation
PROPOSITION: To have the attitude of the chosen generation, we must 1) Be proactive 2) Be positive 3) Be Humble.
OBJECTIVES: The hearer should be able to understand and show proactivity, confidence, and humility in a balanced manner.
AIM: I want the listener to be motivated to service in a proactive, confident, but humble way.
1. Read: 1 Peter 2:9 "But ye are a chosen generation, a royal priesthood, an holy nation, a peculiar people; that ye should shew forth the praises of him who hath called you out of darkness into his marvelous light"
2. About the Text:
1) Christians are special to God.
2) They are chosen, royal, holy.
3) They are for God's possession for a purpose.
4) Purpose: Exemplify excellencies of God.
3. Reference to S, T, P, O, and A.
I. Be Proactive
1. Proactive means acting before you are acted upon.
1) Many let life happen to them.
2) James 4:17 "Therefore to him that . . . ."
2. Bible is full of proactive language
1) Mat.5:16 "Let your light shine!"
2) Mat.7:7-12 Ask, Seek, Knock, Do!
3) Mat.22:37-39 Love God and neighbor.
4) Prayer is most proactive thing we can do! Mark 11:24 "Therefore I say unto you, What things soever ye desire, when ye pray, believe that ye receive them, and ye shall have them."
II. Be Confident--Hebrews 13:6 "So that we may boldly say, The Lord is my helper, and I will not fear what man shall do unto me." Our confidence is in the Lord to help us, not ourselves!
1. The early church wanted boldness--Acts 4:29 "And now, Lord, behold their threatenings: and grant unto thy servants, that with all boldness they may speak thy word"
2. We have no reason to fear man--Mat.10:28 "Fear not them that are . . . ."
3. God is our helper--Psalm 46:1 "God is our refuge and strength, a very present help in trouble."
4. Phil.4:13 "I can do all things through Christ Jesus who strengtheneth me!"
III. Be Humble
1. Humility prevents us from being over confident.
2. Passages on humility.
1) Luke 9:48 ". . .for he that is least among you all, the same shall be great."
2) Mat.5:3 "Blessed are the poor in spirit: for theirs is the kingdom of heaven"
3) Heb.11:25 "Choosing rather to suffer affliction with the people of God, than to enjoy the pleasures of sin for a season"
3. John 13:4ff
1. To have the attitude of the chosen generation we must . . .
1) Be Proactive
2) Be Confident
3) Be Humble
1) Are you part of the chosen generation today?
2) Have you forgotten that you are a part of this generation?
3) If you are not a Christian this morning . . .
a. Hear the word; Romans 10:17 "Faith comes by hearing . . ."
b. Believe with all your heart; Hebrews 11:6 "For without faith it is impossible . . . ."
c. Repent of your sins (Acts 17:30).
d. Confess Jesus as the Son of God (Matt.16:16).
e. Be Baptized for the remission of your sins (Mark 16:15,16).