Date written: January 4th, 2004
Scripture ref: Isaiah 61:1-3
TITLE: Year of the Lord
PROPOSITION: In this study we will look at Isaiah 61:1-3 as understood through the person of Jesus and applied in the work of the church. We can make this year the year of the Lord by 1) Preaching the gospel to the lost. 2) Warning those who are erring. 3) Exhorting those who are faithful.
OBJECTIVES:Each hearer should be able to explain the significance of Isaiah 61:1-3 in relationship to the fulfillment in the messiah and the implementation of the church.
AIM:To encourage everyone to make this year, a year that is dedicated to the Lord by practicing the things we know will dedicate that year to the Lord.
1. Read: Isaiah 61:1-3
2. Read Luke 4:18-21
3. About the Text:
1) This is a messianic text.
2) The fulfillment is in Luke 4:18-21.
3) The passage tells of the work of the messiah.
4) We know today, that the work of the Lord is the work of the church.
5) When we do the work of the Lord today, we also proclaim the acceptable year of the Lord.
6) How can we make this year, the acceptable year of the Lord?
4. Ref. to S, T, P, O, and A.
DISCUSSION: We can make this the year of the Lord by . . . .
I. Preaching the gospel to the lost. (Isaiah 61:1).
1. Jesus took the gospel to those who needed it the most.
2. Luke 19:10 -- "Seek and save that which was lost."
3. 1 Tim.1:15 -- "Christ Jesus came into the world to save sinners."
4. We must take the gospel to those who need it!
5. Matthew 28:19-20; Mark 16:15, 16 "Go . . . ."
1) Make disciples -- Matthew 28:19-20
2) Preach the gospel -- Mark 16:15, 16
II. Warning those who are in error. (Isaiah 61:2).
1. The acceptable time to receive the gospel is now!
1) 2 Cor.6:2 -- Now is the acceptable time!
2) We are promised NO tomorrow. -- James 4:14
2. Judgment is coming. We must warn others of that day.
1) Acts 17:30, 31 -- We need to preach repentance because God has appointed a day of judgment.
2) Acts 24:25 -- Paul reasoned of righteousness, temperance, and judgment to come.
3) John 12:48 -- If we reject Jesus we will be judged by his word.
III. Exhorting those who are faithful. (Isaiah 61:3).
1. We have everything to be thankful for. Let's rejoice! Phil.4:4
2. Let's continue to fight to good fight of the faith. 1 Tim.6:12
3. Let us assemble at every opportunity and join one another in praise to our God. 1 Cor.15:58
4. Trees of righteousness; the planting of the Lord.
1. Will we make this year, the year of the Lord?
1) By preaching the gospel to the lost?
2) By warning those who are in error?
3) By exhorting those who are faithful?
2. Let's make it our goal in this new year to do these things.
3. Read Isaiah 61:1-3
1) If you are a Christian but have fallen away
a. Judgment is waiting those who fall.
b. Make this year the year that you return to the Lord!
2) If you are not a Christian this morning . . .
a. We want you to be saved today!
b. Make this year, the year that you dedicate yourself to God.
c. Heed the plan that it has for man's salvation today!
a) Hear the word; Romans 10:17 "Faith comes by hearing . . ."
b) Believe with all your heart; Hebrews 11:6 "For without faith it is impossible . . . ."
c) Repent of your sins (Acts 17:30).
d) Confess Jesus as the Son of God (Matt.16:16).
e) Be baptized for the remission of your sins (Mark 16:15,16).