Date written: February 15th, 2004
Scripture ref: Revelation 20:12-15
TITLE: The Book of Life
PROPOSITION: In this lesson we will study what the Bible has to say about the book of life. 1) What is this book? 2) Who does the writing? 3) Who are written in it? 4) Who are not written in it?
OBJECTIVES: Each hearer should desire to have their name in the book of life and to do what it takes to keep it there.
AIM: To motivate the hearer to secure their salvation in Christ
1. Read: Revelation 20:12-15
2. About the Text:
1) We sing songs regarding the book of life.
a. My name is in the book of life.
b. Is my name written there?
2) What is that book about which we sing?
3) What does the Bible tell us about it?
4) Since we know that those who are saved are written in it, what can we do to make sure that we are there?
5) Those who are lost are not in it. What things would cause our name to be not written there?
6) Is it possible for that name to be blotted out?
3. Ref. to S, T, P, O, and A.
I. What is this book?
1. Called the book of life.
1) Spiritual life.
2) Abundant life.
3) Eternal life.
2. Brings joy to those who are written in it - Luke 10:20
3. Called the book of life of the lamb - Revelation 13:8
4. Contains the names of those who are saved. Rev.20:12-15
5. Does not contain the names of those who are lost. Rev.20:12-15
6. Contains some blotted out names. Exodus 32:32, 33; Revelation 3:5
II. Who does the writing?
1. God - Exodus 32:32, 33
2. Jesus - Revelation 3:5; Revelation 13:8
III. Who are written in it?
1. The saved - Rev.20:12-15
2. Those who continue to keep sin out of their life - Revelation 21:27
3. Those who are holy - Isaiah 4:3
4. Those who have been delivered - Daniel 12:1-3
5. Those who labor in the kingdom - Phil.4:3
6. The church - Hebrews 12:23
IV. Who are not written in this book?
1. Those who sin-Exodus 32:32, 33
2. Those who oppose the righteous - Psalm 69:27, 28
3. Those who do not overcome - Revelation 3:5
4. Those who worship the beast - Revelation 13:8; Rev.17:8
5. Those who take away from God's words - Revelation 22:19
1. Is your name written there?
1) If you are a Christian, has your name been blotted out?
2) If you are not a Christian this morning . . .
a. Hear the word; Romans 10:17 "Faith comes by hearing . . ."
b. Believe with all your heart; Hebrews 11:6 "For without faith it is impossible . . . ."
c. Repent of your sins (Acts 17:30).
d. Confess Jesus as the Son of God (Matt.16:16).
e. Be Baptized for the remission of your sins (Mark 16:15,16)..