Date written: March 21st, 2004
Scripture ref: Titus 2:11, 12
TITLE: Demanding Purity
PROPOSITION: Immorality today is running out of control. It is time that we stood up and demanded purity from ourselves and those around us. We must demand purity on the issue of 1) Personal Speech, 2) Modesty, 3) Sexual Activity.
OBJECTIVES: Each listener should be more resolved to demand purity in their personal situation.
AIM: To reinforce in the mind of the hearer the need for demanding purity.
1. Read: Titus 2:11, 12
2. About the text.
1) Paul says that the grace of God teaches.
2) It teaches us that we are to deny ungodliness and worldly lust.
3) It teaches that we are to live soberly, righteously, and godly.
3. Our situation today.
1) Last week we talked about marriage.
2) That is not the only issue on which we need to stand.
3) Basic morality is being erroded away.
4) Superbowl display.
5) Recent ruling of the F-word on television. (Rescinded recently).
6) The battle is far from over.
7) Many have forgotten common decency.
8) We need to remind our young people.
4. Reference to S, T, P, O, and A.
DISCUSSION: We must demand purity on the issue of . . .
I. Personal Speech
1. When I was growing up, we didn't hear bad language on television.
2. It is sinful for the Christian to use foul language.
3. Businesses recognize that using foul language is bad for business.
4. The Bible teaches that foul language is sinful.
3) Eph.5:3, 4, 12
1. Television has numbed our mind to immodesty.
2. We are no longer shocked when we see a woman in lingerie on television.
4) Special Presentations
5) They all continue to push the accepted edge of modesty.
3. Our society has literally forgotten how to blush. (Jer.6:15; Jer.8:12).
4. We need to be reminded what God's standard of modesty is (Genesis 3:21).
5. 1 Peter 3:3-5
6. 1 Timothy 2:9, 10
III. Sexual Activities
1. From Bill Clinton to Kobe Bryant, our society reeks with sexual immorality.
2. Colleges teach students how to have safe sex.
3. The devaluation of the marriage relationship has resulted in rampant promiscuity.
4. Those who participate in such end up diseased, both physically and mentally.
5. The schools are pressured to lower the age limit for sexual education.
6. We need to be reminded that illicit sexual activity is sinful.
1) Fornication is sinful.
a. 1 Thess.4:3-7
b. 1 Cor.6:18
2) Petting is sinful.
b. 1 Peter 4:3
1. Read Col.3:5-11
2. We must make it plain to those around us that these things are wrong and sinful.
3. If we fail to do that, we and our children will be overrun.