Date written: April 28th, 2004
Scripture ref: Matthew 7:15-20
SUBJECT: False Religion/Doctrine
TITLE: Beliefs of Islam
PROPOSITION: In this lesson we will briefly notice what Muslims believe about key areas of religious thought, namely, what they believe about Jesus, the Bible, Peace and War, and Heaven.
OBJECTIVE: Each hearer should know that the Islamic religion is not as innocuous as the politically correct make it out to be.
AIM: To help us understand more regarding the religion of Islam and how to refute it.
1. Read: Matthew 7:15-20
2. About the Text:
1) Jesus warned regarding false prophets.
2) He said plainly that men would come in sheep's clothing to deceive.
3) He said that we could know these false prophets according to their fruits, their works.
4) When the works of the prophet are evil, then one can know that person to be a false prophet.
3. Recent news information regarding Islam.
1) See Hamtramck's vote for Islamic call to prayer.
2) Tulsa University is building a Mosque with the support of city tax dollars.
3) The Muslim religion is creeping its way into our society and government.
4) We need to know more about this religion and how to respond to it so that we will not be deceived by what is going on with it today.
4. Key words defined.
1) Koran means "recitation." (More properly spelled Qur'an.)
2) Muslim means "one who is in subjection."
3) Islam means "subjection."
5. Ref. to S, T, P, O, and A.
DISCUSSION: What do Muslims believe about . . .
1. The Koran calls Jesus by the name Isa (Esau). This is the wrong name. Matthew 1:21 "And she shall bring forth a son, and thou shalt call his name JESUS: for he shall save his people from their sins."
2. Jesus was conceived by God of the virgin Mary, but is not the Son of God.
1) Koran 66:12 "And Mary, daughter of 'Imran, whose body was chaste, therefore We breathed therein something of Our Spirit. And she put faith in the words of her Lord and His scriptures, and was of the obedient."
2) However, they do not hold Jesus as God or the Son of God. Koran 5:116 "And when Allah saith: O Jesus, son of Mary! Didst thou say unto mankind: Take me and my mother for two gods beside Allah ? he saith: Be glorified! It was not mine to utter that to which I had no right. If I used to say it, then Thou knewest it. Thou knowest what is in my mind, and I know not what is in Thy Mind. Lo! Thou, only Thou, art the Knower of Things Hidden ?"
3) Koran 4:171 "O People of the Scripture! Do not exaggerate in your religion nor utter aught concerning Allah save the truth. The Messiah, Jesus son of Mary, was only a messenger of Allah, and His word which He conveyed unto Mary, and a spirit from Him."
4) The Bible teaches that Jesus was conceived by God, is the Son of God, and is God Himself. Luke 1:35 "And the angel answered and said unto her, The Holy Ghost shall come upon thee, and the power of the Highest shall overshadow thee: therefore also that holy thing which shall be born of thee shall be called the Son of God."
3. Jesus is not God
1) Koran 5:72 "They surely disbelieve who say: Lo! Allah is the Messiah, son of Mary. The Messiah (himself) said: O Children of Israel, worship Allah, my Lord and your Lord. Lo! whoso ascribeth partners unto Allah, for him Allah hath forbidden paradise. His abode is the Fire. For evil-doers there will be no helpers."
2) Contrast Colossians 2:9 "For in him dwelleth all the fulness of the Godhead bodily."
4. Jesus was the Messiah
1) Koran 3:45 (And remember) when the angels said: O Mary! Lo! Allah giveth thee glad tidings of a word from him, whose name is the Messiah, Jesus, son of Mary, illustrious in the world and the Hereafter, and one of those brought near (unto Allah).
2) Matthew 1:16 "And Jacob begat Joseph the husband of Mary, of whom was born Jesus, who is called Christ/Messiah."
5. Jesus was a prophet.
1) Koran 5:47 "And We caused Jesus, son of Mary, to follow in their footsteps, confirming that which was (revealed) before him in the Torah, and We bestowed on him the Gospel wherein is guidance and a light, confirming that which was (revealed) before it in the Torah - a guidance and an admonition unto those who ward off (evil)."
2) The Bible teaches that Jesus was a prophet. Acts 3:22 "For Moses truly said unto the fathers, A prophet shall the Lord your God raise up unto you of your brethren, like unto me; him shall ye hear in all things whatsoever he shall say unto you."
3) But Jesus was not MERELY a prophet. He was the Son of God. John 20:30, 31.
6. Jesus was NOT crucified and did not die on the cross.
1) Koran 4:157 "And because of their saying: We slew the Messiah, Jesus son of Mary, Allah's messenger - they slew him not nor crucified him, but it appeared so unto them; and lo! those who disagree concerning it are in doubt thereof; they have no knowledge thereof save pursuit of a conjecture; they slew him not for certain."
2) This is in clear contradiction to the teaching of the Bible. Acts 2:22-24 " Ye men of Israel, hear these words; Jesus of Nazareth, a man approved of God among you by miracles and wonders and signs, which God did by him in the midst of you, as ye yourselves also know: Him, being delivered by the determinate counsel and foreknowledge of God, ye have taken, and by wicked hands have crucified and slain: Whom God hath raised up, having loosed the pains of death: because it was not possible that he should be holden of it."
7. But, the fact of the death of Jesus is central to Christianity and the historical record.
1) Paul wrote, "Moreover, brethren, I declare unto you the gospel which I preached unto you, which also ye have received, and wherein ye stand; By which also ye are saved, if ye keep in memory what I preached unto you, unless ye have believed in vain. For I delivered unto you first of all that which I also received, how that Christ died for our sins according to the scriptures; And that he was buried, and that he rose again the third day according to the scriptures" (1 Cor.15:1-4).
2) John 19:34, 35 "But one of the soldiers with a spear pierced his side, and forthwith came there out blood and water. And he that saw it bare record, and his record is true: and he knoweth that he saith true, that ye might believe."
3) "And when Jesus had cried with a loud voice, he said, Father, into thy hands I commend my spirit: and having said thus, he gave up the ghost." (Luke 23:46).
1. Inspiration of the Old Testament
1) Koran 7:160 "We divided them into twelve tribes, nations; and We inspired Moses, when his people asked him for water, saying: Smite with thy staff the rock! And there gushed forth therefrom twelve springs, so that each tribe knew their drinking-place. And we caused the white cloud to overshadow them and sent down for them the manna and the quails (saying): Eat of the good things wherewith we have provided you. They wronged Us not, but they were wont to wrong themselves."
2) Koran 10:87 "And We inspired Moses and his brother, (saying): Appoint houses for your people in Egypt and make your houses oratories, and establish worship. And give good news to the believers."
3) Koran 4:163 "Lo! We inspire thee as We inspired Noah and the prophets after him, as We inspired Abraham and Ishmael and Isaac and Jacob and the tribes, and Jesus and Job and Jonah and Aaron and Solomon, and as We imparted unto David the Psalms;"
4) Numbers 11:17 God speaking to Moses says: "And I will come down and talk with thee there: and I will take of the Spirit which is upon thee (Moses), and will put it upon them;"
2. Inspiration of Jesus
1) Koran 2:87 "And verily We gave unto Moses the Scripture and We caused a train of messengers to follow after him, and We gave unto Jesus, son of Mary, clear proofs (of Allah's sovereignty), and We supported him with the Holy spirit. Is it ever so, that, when there cometh unto you a messenger (from Allah) with that which ye yourselves desire not, ye grow arrogant, and some ye disbelieve and some ye slay ?"
2) Koran 5:110 "When Allah saith: O Jesus, son of Mary! Remember My favour unto thee and unto thy mother; how I strengthened thee with the holy Spirit, so that thou spakest unto mankind in the cradle as in maturity; and how I taught thee the Scripture and Wisdom and the Torah and the Gospel;"
3) The Bible says that Jesus had the Spirit without measure. John 3:34 "For he whom God hath sent speaketh the words of God: for God giveth not the Spirit by measure unto him."
3. Inspiration of the Disciples of Jesus
1) Koran 5:111 "And when I inspired the disciples, (saying): Believe in Me and in My messenger, they said: We believe. Bear witness that we have surrendered (unto Thee) 'we are muslims'."
2) Koran 57:27 "Then We caused Our messengers to follow in their footsteps; and We caused Jesus, son of Mary, to follow, and gave him the Gospel, and placed compassion and mercy in the hearts of those who followed him…."
3) John 16:13 "Howbeit when he, the Spirit of truth, is come, he will guide you into all truth: for he shall not speak of himself; but whatsoever he shall hear, that shall he speak: and he will shew you things to come."
4) Note that the disciples called themselves "Christians" not "Muslims." Acts 11:26 "…And the disciples were called Christians first in Antioch."
4. Acknowledgment of the Bible as a whole as inspired.
1) Koran 3:84 "Say (O Muhammad): We believe in Allah and that which is revealed unto us and that which was revealed unto Abraham and Ishmael and Isaac and Jacob and the tribes, and that which was vouchsafed unto Moses and Jesus and the prophets from their Lord. We make no distinction between any of them, and unto Him we have surrendered."
2) Koran 5:68 "Say O People of the Scripture! Ye have naught (of guidance) till ye observe the Torah and the Gospel and that which was revealed unto you from your Lord. That which is revealed unto thee (Muhammad) from thy Lord is certain to increase the contumacy and disbelief of many of them. But grieve not for the disbelieving folk."
3) Compare 2 Peter 1:21 "For the prophecy came not in old time by the will of man: but holy men of God spake as they were moved by the Holy Ghost."
4) 2 Timothy 3:16, 17 as well.
5. You may ask why Muslims do not believe the Bible today.
1) First, they believe, of course, that the Koran is the most complete revelation of God's will.
a. Koran 6:19 " Say (O Muhammad): What thing is of most weight in testimony ? Say: Allah is Witness between me and you. And this Qur'an hath been inspired in me, that I may warn therewith you and whomsoever it may reach…."
b. Koran 86:13 "Lo! this (Qur'an) is a conclusive word,"
c. This is not unlike the Mormons. They have to give greater weight to their book or the Bible will prove their book false.
2) Second, they believe that the Bible has been corrupted over the many years since its writing.
III. Peace and War? Does Islam promote peace? Is it a peaceful religion?
1. What does the Koran say about religious violence?
1) Koran 2:190-193 "Fight in the way of Allah against those who fight against you, but begin not hostilities. Lo! Allah loveth not aggressors. And slay them wherever ye find them, and drive them out of the places whence they drove you out, for persecution is worse than slaughter. And fight not with them at the Inviolable Place of Worship until they first attack you there, but if they attack you (there) then slay them. Such is the reward of disbelievers. But if they desist, then lo! Allah is Forgiving, Merciful. And fight them until persecution is no more, and religion is for Allah. But if they desist, then let there be no hostility except against wrong-doers."
2) Koran 5:33 "The only reward of those who make war upon Allah and His messenger and strive after corruption in the land will be that they will be killed or crucified, or have their hands and feet on alternate sides cut off, or will be expelled out of the land. Such will be their degradation in the world, and in the Hereafter theirs will be an awful doom;"
3) Koran 8:65 "O Prophet! Exhort the believers to fight. If there be of you twenty steadfast they shall overcome two hundred, and if there be of you a hundred (steadfast) they shall overcome a thousand of those who disbelieve, because they (the disbelievers) are a folk without intelligence."
4) In Contrast, the Bible teaches that we are to love our enemies. Jesus said, " Blessed are they which are persecuted for righteousness’ sake: for theirs is the kingdom of heaven. Blessed are ye, when men shall revile you, and persecute you, and shall say all manner of evil against you falsely, for my sake. Rejoice, and be exceeding glad: for great is your reward in heaven: for so persecuted they the prophets which were before you." (Matthew 5:10-12).
2. Does Islam believe that they must conquer all through religion?
1) Koran 2:256 "There is no compulsion in religion. The right direction is henceforth distinct from error."
2) Koran 9:3, "Give tidings (O Muhammad) of a painful doom to those who disbelieve."
3) Koran 9:5 "Then, when the sacred months have passed, slay the idolaters wherever ye find them, and take them (captive), and besiege them, and prepare for them each ambush. But if they repent and establish worship and pay the poor-due, then leave their way free. Lo! Allah is Forgiving, Merciful."
4) Koran 9:29 " Fight against such of those who have been given the Scripture as believe not in Allah nor the Last Day, and forbid not that which Allah hath forbidden by His messenger, and follow not the Religion of Truth, until they pay the tribute readily, being brought low."
5) Koran 9:73 "O Prophet! Strive (make war) against the disbelievers and the hypocrites! Be harsh with them. Their ultimate abode is hell, a hapless journey's end."
6) In contrast to this attitude, Jesus taught, "My kingdom is not of this world: if my kingdom were of this world, then would my servants fight, that I should not be delivered to the Jews: but now is my kingdom not from hence." (John 18:36).
7) Paul taught, "For though we walk in the flesh, we do not war after the flesh: (For the weapons of our warfare are not carnal, but mighty through God to the pulling down of strong holds;)" (2 Cor.10:3, 4).
3. What will happen to those who participate in religious violence?
1) Koran 47:4-6 "…And those who are slain in the way of Allah, He rendereth not their actions vain. He will guide them and improve their state, And bring them in unto the Garden (Paradise) which He hath made known to them."
2) Koran 4:74 "Let those fight in the way of Allah who sell the life of this world for the other. Whoso fighteth in the way of Allah, be he slain or be he victorious, on him We shall bestow a vast reward."
4. What about the modern status of the Islamic state?
1) Saudi Arabia—" In Saudi Arabia, freedom of religion is nonexistent. It is illegal to read a Bible or vocalize a non-Muslim prayer in the privacy of your own home. Under Islamic law, conversion to Christianity by a Saudi citizen is punishable by beheading. Saudi’s leaders do not support the idea that Islam "instructs people on how they may live together in peace and harmony regardless of race, class or beliefs." According to Amnesty International, the persecution of Christians in Saudi Arabia has "increased dramatically" since the Gulf War. More than a thousand cases have been documented in which Christian foreign workers have been arrested, imprisoned and/or beaten for participating in private worship meetings." From Does Islam promote peace? (http://answering-islam.org.uk/TWOR/peacepromoting.html)
2) Egypt – "In Egypt, Christians can't even paint their walls or do minor repairs on their church buildings without a building permit—a permit that is virtually impossible to obtain. One particular woman had her identity papers confiscated and is being kept under house arrest—all because she left Islam to follow Christ. The charge of "denigrating Islam" is regularly leveled against Christians who are involved in leading a Muslim to Christ. Many Christians living in Upper Egypt have been pressured to pay "protection money" to Muslim racketeers. Those who refuse have been subjected to violent attacks. In October of 1995, Shehata Fawzi (a Christian farmer) was shot to death when he refused to pay 5000 Egyptian pounds to local Muslims. The Cairo-based center for Human Rights/Legal Aid reports the murder of dozens of Copts over the past several years. Last report, the government has failed to put a stop to it. Meanwhile, the militant Gama’a al-Ialamiya group wants to replace Egypt’s "moderate" government with a more strict Islamic state!" From "Does Islam Promote Peace? (http://answering-islam.org.uk/TWOR/peacepromoting.html)
3) And these are the more "moderate" Islamic states. We know how the fundamentalist Islamics think and believe from what we have seen from 9/11 and the recent beheading of a U.S. Citizen in Iraq.
5. Conclusions on peace.
1) The Muslim religion only believes in one peace, peace that is propagated by belief of Islam or punishment through the sword.
2) NO! Islam is NOT a religion of peace and neither does it promote peace.
3) Christianity, on the other hand, promotes peace. Jesus said, " Blessed are the peacemakers: for they shall be called the children of God." (Matthew 5:9).
4) Romans 12:18 "If it be possible, as much as lieth in you, live peaceably with all men."
5) Gal.5:9 "But the fruit of the Spirit is love, joy, peace, longsuffering, gentleness, goodness, faith,"
6) James 3:17, 18 "But the wisdom that is from above is first pure, then peaceable, gentle, and easy to be intreated, full of mercy and good fruits, without partiality, and without hypocrisy. And the fruit of righteousness is sown in peace of them that make peace."
IV. Heaven and Hell
1. "In the Qur'an (and the Hadith), Paradise is a very physical place with many physical delights, including food, shade and fair maidens, all of which evoke many fond imageries to the Arab living in the harsh desert, and influenced many a Muslim to fight for Islam. Many Muslims have been adamant about the physical pleasures of Paradise." Quote from "Paradies" (http://answering-islam.org.uk/Index/index.html)
2. Heaven is a place for those who do good and hell a place for the disbelievers.
1) Koran 3:131-133 "And ward off (from yourselves) the Fire prepared for disbelievers. And obey Allah and the messenger, that ye may find mercy. And vie one with another for forgiveness from your Lord, and for a paradise as wide as are the heavens and the earth, prepared for those who ward off (evil);"
2) Popular statement in the Koran; Koran 4:57 "And as for those who believe and do good works, We shall make them enter Gardens underneath which rivers flow - to dwell therein for ever; there for them are pure companions - and We shall make them enter plenteous shade."
3) Koran 13:22-25 "Such as persevere in seeking their Lord's Countenance and are regular in prayer and spend of that which We bestow upon them secretly and openly, and overcome evil with good. Theirs will be the sequel of the (heavenly) Home, Gardens of Eden which they enter, along with all who do right of their fathers and their helpmeets and their seed. The angels enter unto them from every gate, (Saying): Peace be unto you because ye persevered. Ah, passing sweet will be the sequel of the (heavenly) Home. And those who break the covenant of Allah after ratifying it, and sever that which Allah hath commanded should be joined, and make mischief in the earth: theirs is the curse and theirs the ill abode."
4) A place for those who obey the Torah and the Gospel; 5:65, 66 "If only the People of the Scripture would believe and ward off (evil), surely We should remit their sins from them and surely We should bring them into Gardens of Delight. If they had observed the Torah and the Gospel and that which was revealed unto them from their Lord, they would surely have been nourished from above them and from beneath their feet. Among them there are people who are moderate, but many of them are of evil conduct."
5) Matthew 25:46 teaches that the wicked will go into eternal punishment but the righteous into eternal life.
3. Those who die in service to Allah will be automatically admitted to Heaven.
1) Koran 3:195 "And their Lord hath heard them (and He saith): Lo! I suffer not the work of any worker, male or female, to be lost. Ye proceed one from another. So those who fled and were driven forth from their homes and suffered damage for My cause, and fought and were slain, verily I shall remit their evil deeds from them and verily I shall bring them into Gardens underneath which rivers flow - A reward from Allah. And with Allah is the fairest of rewards."
2) 48:16, 17 "Say unto those of the wandering Arabs who were left behind: Ye will be called against a folk of mighty prowess, to fight them until they surrender; and if ye obey, Allah will give you a fair reward; but if ye turn away as ye did turn away before, He will punish you with a painful doom. There is no blame for the blind, nor is there blame for the lame, nor is there blame for the sick (that they go not forth to war). And whoso obeyeth Allah and His messenger, He will make him enter Gardens underneath which rivers flow; and whoso turneth back, him will He punish with a painful doom."
3) It is those who are forgiven who enter heaven. We can't earn our salvation through death or any means. It is a gift from God. (Ephesians 2:8-10).
4. Christians are disbelievers who will not enter paradise, but hell.
1) Koran 5:72 "They surely disbelieve who say: Lo! Allah is the Messiah, son of Mary. The Messiah (himself) said: O Children of Israel, worship Allah, my Lord and your Lord. Lo! whoso ascribeth partners unto Allah, for him Allah hath forbidden Paradise. His abode is the Fire. For evil-doers there will be no helpers."
2) Obviously the Bible disagrees with this. John 3:16.
5. The Islamic Paradise/Garden is a place of sensual delights. (from "Paradise" http://answering-islam.org.uk/Index/index.html)
1) 55:70 72, 74 "In them will be fair (Maidens), good, beautiful;- ... Maidens restrained (as to their glances), in (goodly) pavilions;- ... Whom no man or Jinn before them has touched;- "
2) all that the believers asked given, Ya Sin 36:55-57
3) couches, reclining, as-Saffat 37:43, Sad 38:50,51, ad-Dahr 76:13
4) fruits, Muhammad 47:15, as-Saffat 37:40-42, Ya Sin 36:55-57, ad-Dahr 76:14, al-Kahf 18:32
5) garden of delight, as-Saffat 37:43
6) goblets of silvers, beakers of glass, ad-Dahr 76:15
7) great food, plenty of food, cool drink, al-Baqarah 2:2, Sad 38:50,51
8) houris, maidens, immortal youths in Paradise, al-Baqarah 2:2, ad-Dahr 76:19-20. More description in HOURIS
9) no heat of sun or bitter cold, ad-Dahr 76:13
This description is just what Arabs in the desert need.
10) spring water, as-Saffat 37:40, ad-Dahr 76:18
11) silk attire, ad-Dahr 76:12
12) tillage between man, al-Kahf 18:32
a. flowing, al-Baqarah 2:2, as-Saff 61:12
b. of clear honey, milk that does not change flavor, wine, Muhammad 47:15 (Wine, which was forbidden of believers on earth, is now given in plenty. I have heard some Muslims saying that this wine is not real wine. If so, why have it? Is it to satisfy man's craving? But, why have such a pleasure that believers can do without, according to Islam?)
c. unpolluted, Muhammad 47:15
d. pardon from their Lord, forgive sins. Muhammad 47:15; as-Saff 61:12
e. you and your wives in shade and on thrones, az-Zukhurf 43:70
6. The basic difference between Christianity and Islam regarding heaven is that for Christians, heaven is a spiritual place where we will worship God and be in God's presence. For the Muslim, heaven is a place of physical and sensual delights.
1) Christianity teaches that there will be no giving and taking in marriage in heaven (Matthew 22:30).
2) Heaven is a place of comfort, but not a place where sensual pleasure will be wonton.
3) Revelation 22:1-5 just about sums it up.
1. There are vast differences between the religion of Islam and Christianity.
1) In regard to Jesus.
2) In regard to practice about the belief of the Bible
3) In regard to peace and war.
4) In regard to heaven and hell.
2. It should be obvious to all that Islam is not consistent with itself as a religion and must be rejected.
3. Muhammad was a false prophet and must be rejected.
1) The way of Jesus is a much better way.
a. Better because of who Jesus really is.
b. Better because of the consistency of the Bible and scripture.
c. Better because of the high moral standard when it comes to peace and war.
d. Better because of a balanced and just teaching regarding heaven and hell.
2) If you are not a Christian this morning . . .
a. Hear the word; Romans 10:17 “Faith comes by hearing . . .”
b. Believe with all your heart; Hebrews 11:6 “For without faith it is impossible . . . .”
c. Repent of your sins (Acts 17:30).
d. Confess Jesus as the Son of God (Matt.16:16).
e. Be Baptized for the remission of your sins (Mark 16:15,16).