Scripture ref: Matthew 28:18-20
TITLE: The Mission of the Church
PROPOSITION: To set forth the mission of the church: 1) That this mission must reflect the mission of Jesus--to seek and to save the lost; 2) That it is a mission of evangelism; 3) That it is a mission of edification; 4) That it is a mission of benevolence.
OBJECTIVES: Each person should be able to state the basic mission of the church and the threefold way in which it is carried out.
AIM: To teach the basics regarding the mission of the church.
1. Read: Matthew 28:18-20
2. About the Text:
1) This is the great commission.
2) You see in the word commission the word mission.
3) The church has a mission today and we must fulfill that mission.
3. No other organization has been given this mission. It is the church's mission alone.
1) No mention of missionary societies in the scriptures.
2) No mention of charitable organizations apart from the church in the scriptures.
3) No mention of any organization other than the church to carry out the mission of the church.
4. Ref. to S, T, P, O, and A.
I. The Mission must reflect the mission of its Head, Husband, Savior, Lord, and King.
1. To call sinners to repentance (Matt.9:13; Mark 2:7; Luke 5:32).
2. To seek and to save the lost. (Matthew 18:11; Luke 19:10).
3. That they might have life. (John 10:10).
4. The mission of the church should be the same--
1) To call sinners to repentance.
2) To seek and save the lost.
3) To see that all have abundant life.
5. How is this mission accomplished?
II. Evangelizing the Lost
1. Motivation for evangelism--Mankind is lost and in need of reconciliation!
1) Isaiah 59:2 Separated from God.
2) Romans 3:23 All have sinned.
3) Ephesians 2:1-3 Dead in trespasses.
2. Message of Evangelism -- Jesus Saves! (Matt.1:21)
1) Save yourself from this crooked generation. (Acts 2:40).
2) Be reconciled to God (1 Cor.5:20).
3) Obey the gospel (2 Thess.1:8; 1 Peter 4:17).
3. Method of Evangelism -- Preaching and Teaching
1) Luke 9:60
2) Mark 16:15
3) Acts 5:42
4) Acts 10:42
5) Romans 1:15
6) 2 Tim.4:2
4. The Ministers of Evangelism -- You and me.
1) Mat.5:13-16 Salt/Light of the World
2) Mat.25:14-30 Parable of the talents
3) Acts 8:4 Went everywhere preaching the word.
4) 1 Cor.3:5-9 Laborers together with God
III. Edifying the Saved
1. The basis for edification: John 8:31, 32
2. The action of edification: Acts 11:23, Acts 14:22
3. The reason for edification: Hebrews 3:13, Hebrews 10:24
4. The result of edification: 1 Thess 3:2; 2 Peter 1:12-15
IV. Giving to the Needy
1. Acts 10:38 -- Jesus went about doing good.
2. Acts 20:35 -- Support the weak and give.
3. Romans 15:26 (ASV) Poor among the saints.
4. Galatians 6:10 -- Do good to all men.
5. Ephesians 4:28 -- Each should work so we would have to give to the needy.
6. James 1:27 -- Pure religion.
1. The church has a mission today.
2. This mission is to save souls and it reflects the mission of Christ.
3. This is accomplished in three ways.
1) Evangelizing the Lost
2) Edifying the Faithful
3) Giving to the Poor