Date written: September 14th, 2005
Scripture ref: Ephesians 1:11-12
SUBJECT: Faith, Trust, Jesus
TITLE: "'Tis So Sweet to Trust in Jesus"
PROPOSITION: We need to learn more about trusting in Jesus. What is trust? Why is it sweet? And Why should we trust Jesus?
Objectives: We should all know how to answers these questions so that we can tell others about trusting in Jesus.
Aim: We need to be able to explain to others what it means to trust in Jesus and why.
1. Read: Ephesians 1:11-12
2. About the Text:
1) In this passage, Paul is enumerating the spiritual blessings that are in Christ.
d. Eternal inheritance
2) In verse 12, Paul explains why we have these blessings.
3) It is because we first trusted in Jesus.
3. About the sermon:
1) We sing the song, "'Tis So Sweet to Trust in Jesus"
2) It is perhaps one of our most beloved and beautiful songs.
3) This song was written by Louisa M.R. Stead in 1882 and set to music by William J. Kirkpatrick in the same year.
4) According to several sources, Louisa Stead and her daughter was stricken with poverty after her husband drowned trying to save a young child off Long Island.
5) She wrote this hymn after finding that someone had left her some food and money one day on her doorstep.
4. Ref. to S, T, P, O, and A.
I. What does it mean to trust?
1. Trust is the act of depending upon someone else to do what is needed.
1) We must let go of self to trust someone else – Proverbs 3:5-6
2) Abraham depended upon God to do what was needed – Genesis 18:25 "Shall not the judge of all the earth do right?"
3) With Jesus, it is depending upon Him to do what is needed and right.
a. He has done what is needed for our salvation – Romans 5:8 "But God commendeth…."
b. He will continue to do what is right – Matthew 28:20 "with you always."
2. Trust means that we take someone at their word.
1) Consider Luke 5:1-11.
2) Consider Matthew 14:25-31
3) Consider Isaiah 55:11 "So shall my word be that goeth forth out of my mouth: it shall not return unto me void, but it shall accomplish that which I please, and it shall prosper in the thing whereto I sent it."
3. Trust means believing someone's promise.
1) Consider Hebrews 6:13-18
2) Consider Romans 4:17-22
II. What is sweet about trust?
1. When we completely and totally trust someone, we have no worries.
1) Consider Matthew 6:25-34.
2) Philippians 4:6 "In nothing be anxious; but in everything by prayer and supplication with thanksgiving let your requests be made known unto God."
2. We don't have to do it by ourselves.
1) Have you ever doubted your own ability? I have.
2) Consider Philippians 4:13 "I can do all things…."
3. Some things we can't do ourselves.
1) We can't control the universe. But Jesus can! Ephesians 1:21-22 "Far above all principality, and power, and might, and dominion, and every name that is named, not only in this world, but also in that which is to come: And hath put all things under his feet, and gave him to be the head over all things to the church."
2) We can't trust in our own righteousness to save us. But Jesus can! Philippians 3:8-9 "Yea doubtless, and I count all things but loss for the excellency of the knowledge of Christ Jesus my Lord: for whom I have suffered the loss of all things, and do count them but dung, that I may win Christ, And be found in him, not having mine own righteousness, which is of the law, but that which is through the faith of Christ, the righteousness which is of God by faith."
3) We can't bring ourselves back from the dead. But Jesus can! Philippians 3:10-11 "That I may know him, and the power of his resurrection, and the fellowship of his sufferings, being made conformable unto his death; If by any means I might attain unto the resurrection of the dead."
4. It is sweet to trust in Jesus when we feel as if the whole world is out of control – it is then that we can put our complete trust in Him and He will provide.
III. Why do we trust Jesus?
1. Because He offered His life for our salvation.
1) John 3:16 "For God so loved the world . . . ."
2) John 15:13 "Greater love hath no man than this, that a man lay down his life for his friends. Ye are my friends, if ye do the things which I command you."
3) 2 Corinthians 5:15 "And that he died for all, that they which live should not henceforth live unto themselves, but unto him which died for them, and rose again."
2. Because God declared Him to be His Son by the resurrection of the dead. Romans 1:4.
3. Because He is now in control of all things. Hebrews 1:1-3
4. Because He has all authority. Matthew 28:18
5. Because without Him there is no hope. Ephesians 2:12
6. Because Jesus keeps His promises. 2 Peter 3:9 "The Lord is not slack concerning his promises…."
1. Have you trusted in Jesus today?