Date written: 1991
Scripture ref: 2 Corinthians 5:20
"Be Ye Reconciled!"
TITLE: Reconciliation (3)--"Be Ye Reconciled!"
PROPOSITION: In this lesson we will study God's plan for man's reconciliation-- What God has done, what man must do, and what man must continue to do to be reconciled to God.
OBJECTIVE: That all who are not reconciled to God in the hearing of this sermon will become reconciled to him.
1. Read: 2 Cor.5:20 "Now then we are ambassadors for Christ, as though God did beseech you by us: we pray you in Christ's stead, be ye reconciled to God."
2. About the Text:
1) The ambassadors are those who have been given the ministry and word of reconciliation.
2) These ambassadors have a specific function: they are to beseech.
3) They beseech on behalf of God and Christ.
4) They beseech "Be ye reconciled to God."
3. Ref. to S, T, P, O.
I. What God Has Done For Man To Be Reconciled To Him
1. He has loved man.
1) This love is shown in his great sacrifice. John 3:16
2) God's love is given in spite of man's sin. Romans 5:8 "But God commendeth his love toward us, in that, while we were yet sinners, Christ died for us."
3) God's love quickens our souls. Ephesians 2:4-6 "But God, who is rich in mercy, for his great love wherewith he loved us, Even when we were dead in sins, hath quickened us together with Christ, (by grace ye are saved;) And hath raised us up together, and made us sit together in heavenly places in Christ Jesus."
4) 1 John 4:10 "Herein is love, not that we loved God, but that he loved us, and sent his Son to be the propitiation for our sins."
2.He has sent his son.
1) John 6:40 "And this is the will of him that sent me, that every one which seeth the Son, and believeth on him, may have everlasting life: and I will raise him up at the last day."
2) Acts 3:26, "Unto you first God, having raised up his Son Jesus, sent him to bless you, in turning away every one of you from his iniquities."
3) Gal.4:4, 5 "But when the fulness of the time was come, God sent forth his Son, made of a woman, made under the law, To redeem them that were under the law, that we might receive the adoption of sons."
4) 1 John 4:14 "And we have seen and do testify that the Father sent the Son to be the Saviour of the world."
3. He has given him a plan by which he may be saved.
1) This plan is the gospel--Romans 1:16, 17.
2) The gospel is to be made known for the obedience of faith--Romans 16:25-27 "Now to him that is of power to stablish you according to my gospel, and the preaching of Jesus Christ, according to the revelation of the mystery, which was kept secret since the world began, But now is made manifest, and by the scriptures of the prophets, according to the commandment of the everlasting God, made known to all nations for the obedience of faith: To God only wise, be glory through Jesus Christ for ever. Amen."
3) This gospel is unto our glory--1 Cor.2:7 "But we speak the wisdom of God in a mystery, even the hidden wisdom, which God ordained before the world unto our glory."
4) The church is to make known this gospel--Eph.3:9-11 "And to make all men see what is the fellowship of the mystery, which from the beginning of the world hath been hid in God, who created all things by Jesus Christ: To the intent that now unto the principalities and powers in heavenly places might be known by the church the manifold wisdom of God, According to the eternal purpose which he purposed in Christ Jesus our Lord."
4. He has given him the word by which he may learn how to be saved.
1) John 1:1, 14
2) Romans 10:17 "...by the word of God."
3) John 8:32 "Ye shall know. . ." John 17:17 "Sanctify them in . . ."
4) James 1:21 "Wherefore lay apart all filthiness and superfluity of naughtiness, and receive with meekness the engrafted word, which is able to save your souls."
II. What Man Must Do To Be Reconciled To God (Explain order)
1. God demands that we hear His Son and His word.
2) Matt.17:5 "...Hear Ye Him."
3) Matt.7:24-27 Wise man and foolish man. Hear with a view toward obedience.
4) John 5:25 "Verily, verily, I say unto you, The hour is coming, and now is, when the dead shall hear the voice of the Son of God: and they that hear shall live."
2. God demands that we believe--have faith--in Him and His word. (Tell meaning)
1) Heb.11:6 "Without faith ...."
2) John 8:24 "I said therefore unto you, that ye shall die in your sins: for if ye believe not that I am he, ye shall die in your sins."
3) 1 John 5:4, 5 "For whatsoever is born of God overcometh the world: and this is the victory that overcometh the world, even our faith. Who is he that overcometh the world, but he that believeth that Jesus is the Son of God?"
4) This is not a dead faith, but a living and active faith. James 2:20 "But wilt thou know, O vain man, that faith without works is dead?"
3. God demands that we repent of our sins. (Meaning of repentance)
1) God wants us to repent--2 Peter 3:9 "The Lord is not slack concerning his promise, as some men count slackness; but is longsuffering to us-ward, not willing that any should perish, but that all should come to repentance."
2) Luke 13:3 "Except ye repent ye shall all likewise perish."
3) Matt.4:17 Jesus message, "Repent ye for the kingdom of heaven is at hand."
4) Acts 17:30
4. God demands that we confess Jesus as His Son.
1) Rom.10:9, 10 "That if thou shalt confess with thy mouth the Lord Jesus, and shalt believe in thine heart that God hath raised him from the dead, thou shalt be saved. For with the heart man believeth unto righteousness; and with the mouth confession is made unto salvation."
3) Acts 8:37 Ethiopian Eunich
5. God demands that we be baptized for the remission of our sins. This puts us into a holy state. (Emphasize the passiveness of the action. It is not a work of merit.)
1) Mark 16:16
2) Acts 2:38
3) Gal.3:27 "For as many of you as have been baptized into Christ have put on Christ."
4) Romans 6:4 "Therefore we are buried with him by baptism into death: that like as Christ was raised up from the dead by the glory of the Father, even so we also should walk in newness of life."
5) 1 Peter 3:21 "The like figure whereunto even baptism doth also now save us (not the putting away of the filth of the flesh, but the answer of a good conscience toward God,) by the resurrection of Jesus Christ."
6) Acts 22:16 "And now why tarriest thou? arise, and be baptized, and wash away thy sins, calling on the name of the Lord."
III. What Man Must Continue To Do To Be Reconciled To God
1) Mission of Worship--Glorify God--Mat.4:10 ". . . Get thee hence, Satan: for it is written, Thou shalt worship the Lord thy God, and him only shalt thou serve."
2) Manner of Worship--John 4:24
3) Method of Worship--
d. Partake of the Lord's Supper
4) Mode of Worship
1) Walk in God's good works--Eph 2:10 "For we are his workmanship, created in Christ Jesus unto good works, which God hath before ordained that we should walk in them."
2) Walk worthy of our calling--Eph.4:1-3 "I therefore, the prisoner of the Lord, beseech you that ye walk worthy of the vocation wherewith ye are called, With all lowliness and meekness, with longsuffering, forbearing one another in love; Endeavouring to keep the unity of the Spirit in the bond of peace."
3) Walk in wisdom--Eph.5:15, 16 "See then that ye walk circumspectly, not as fools, but as wise, Redeeming the time, because the days are evil."
4) 1 Cor.5:7 "For we walk by faith, not by sight."
1) Proverbs 11:30 "The fruit of the righteous is a tree of life; and he that winneth souls is wise."
2) James 5:19, 20 "Brethren, if any of you do err from the truth, and one convert him; Let him know, that he which converteth the sinner from the error of his way shall save a soul from death, and shall hide a multitude of sins."
1. Please, we beg of you, do not leave here tonight without having had your soul reconciled to God. "Now then we are ambassadors for Christ, as though God did beseech you by us: we pray you in Christ's stead, be ye reconciled to God." 2 Cor.5:20