Date written: October 22nd, 2006
Scripture ref: 2 Corinthians 10:5
SUBJECT: Christian Living
TITLE: Thinking Christianly
PROPOSITION: How ought Christians to think? 1) Soberly, 2) Beneficially, 3) Wisely.
Objectives: Each should be able to tell others about how Christians think.
Aim: To get Christians to think about their own thinking.
1. Read: 2 Corinthians 10:5 "Casting down imaginations, and every high thing that exalteth itself against the knowledge of God, and bringing into captivity every thought to the obedience of Christ;"
2. About the Text:
1) Paul tells us that as Christians we need to bring every thought into captivity to Christ.
2) That is a challenging thing.
3) We have many thoughts on a daily basis.
4) Sometimes we think about things that we ought not.
5) We need to control how we think.
6) We need to control what we think.
7) How can we do that?
3. Ref. to S, T, P, O, and A.
DISCUSSION: How ought Christians to think?
I. Think Soberly Ė Romans 12:3
1. About ourselves
1) 1 Corinthians 8:2 "And if any man think that he knoweth any thing, he knoweth nothing yet as he ought to know."
2) Galatians 6:3 " For if a man think himself to be something, when he is nothing, he deceiveth himself."
2. About Others
1) 2 Corinthians 10:7 "Do ye look on things after the outward appearance? If any man trust to himself that he is Christís, let him of himself think this again, that, as he is Christís, even so are we Christís."
2) Philippians 2:3-4 "Let nothing be done through strife or vainglory; but in lowliness of mind let each esteem other better than themselves. Look not every man on his own things, but every man also on the things of others."
3. About our Salvation
1) 1 Corinthians 10:12 "Wherefore let him that thinketh he standeth take heed lest he fall."
2) Luke 12:40 "Be ye therefore ready also: for the Son of man cometh at an hour when ye think not."
II. Think Beneficially Ė 1 Corinthians 13:5
1. About our opportunities.
1) Acts 26:2 "I think myself happy, king Agrippa, because I shall answer for myself this day before thee touching all the things whereof I am accused of the Jews:"
2) Revelation 3:8 "I know thy works: behold, I have set before thee an open door, and no man can shut it: for thou hast a little strength, and hast kept my word, and hast not denied my name."
3) 1 Corinthians 16:9 "For a great door and effectual is opened unto me, and there are many adversaries."
2. In our thoughts.
1) Philippians 4:8 "Finally, brethren, whatsoever things are true, whatsoever things are honest, whatsoever things are just, whatsoever things are pure, whatsoever things are lovely, whatsoever things are of good report; if there be any virtue, and if there be any praise, think on these things."
2) James 2:4 "Are ye not then partial in yourselves, and are become judges of evil thoughts?"
3) We need to keep our thoughts pure and not muddled with evil things.
3. In our relationships
1) 1 Corinthians 13:7 "Beareth all things, believeth all things, hopeth all things, endureth all things."
2) 1 Corinthians 12:25 "That there should be no schism in the body; but that the members should have the same care one for another."
3) James 5:16 "Confess your faults one to another, and pray one for another, that ye may be healed. The effectual fervent prayer of a righteous man availeth much."
III. Think Wisely Ė 1 Peter 4:12
1. Everyone needs wisdom.
1) James 1:5 "If any of you lack wisdom, let him ask of God, that giveth to all men liberally, and upbraideth not; and it shall be given him."
2) Luke 2:52 "And Jesus increased in wisdom and stature, and in favour with God and man."
3) James 3:17 "But the wisdom that is from above is first pure, then peaceable, gentle, and easy to be intreated, full of mercy and good fruits, without partiality, and without hypocrisy."
2. About our behavior.
1) Colossians 4:5 "Walk in wisdom toward them that are without, redeeming the time."
2) Proverbs 2:1-9 READ
3. About God
1) Acts 17:29 "Forasmuch then as we are the offspring of God, we ought not to think that the Godhead is like unto gold, or silver, or stone, graven by art and manís device."
2) 1 Corinthians 1:21 "For after that in the wisdom of God the world by wisdom knew not God, it pleased God by the foolishness of preaching to save them that believe."
1. To think like a Christian, we need to think . . .